Making WoW Movies [Updated 09/10/12]

General Banter for everyone
AshTrai
Co-Guild Master
Class: Mage

Making WoW Movies [Updated 09/10/12]

Postby AshTrai » 29 Sep 2007, 11:43

People periodically ask me how i make movie's from WoW since it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere in detail. There are many methods on how to do this -- some are simple and basic, some are more long-winded and configurable. The manner in which i do it means i can change/alter many settings that change the outcome of the final movie produced. I've tried to stick to free programs so u wont see me using expensive things like Sony Vegas or whatever to add fancy title screens or other shit like that. This is also the method i developed from making game-movies from like 2002 and it has stood the test of time! :P
Here is what i do to get the movie's that u see me make...

Programs:-
  1. Fraps (http://www.fraps.com) - version 3.5.9 is the latest at time of writing.
  2. VirtualDub (open source freeware!) - latest version as i write this is 1.9.11. I'd suggest 32bit even if ur OS is 64bit because most of the codecs are not in 64bit.
  3. A/V Codecs (divx, xvid, ogg vorbis, mp3, ac3...up to u :)). I would suggest downloading the K-lite codec pack [Mega] as it contains everything you're gonna need.

Configuration:-
    This is the initial config of fraps and virtualdub+codecs that only needs to be done once. I'm gonna assume u've been able to download and install the programs already...

1. Fraps
    1. Open Fraps and go to the FPS tab.
      In here, you may want to change the overlay settings (on the right). It's important to note that the overlay is never captured in the videos that are produced by Fraps and the fps number turns red while capturing is turned on, which i find useful to remind me that i am or am not currently capturing video. You can change what corner the of the screen the overlay sits in so change to however u want...of u can just turn it off entirely.

2. Next, click the Movies tab.
      In here, set:
      - Video Capture Hotkey to what you want to toggle movie capturing on/off. I've always used Numberpad Subtract key.
      - Video Capture Settings 30fps
      - Split movie every 4 Gigabytes OFF. This option is only useful if u are dumping video data to a hdd which is formatted with the FAT32 file system because FAT32 can only cope with files that are under 4gb in size. I'm gonna assume the VAST majority of people run on NTFS so this option is not necessary in this case.
      - Record Win7 sound Stereo
      - Record external input should automatically pick up your soundcard/mic so just set the same push-to-talk key as u have in TS3
      - Hide mouse cursor ON (tick)
      - lock framerate while recording OFF! Otherwise ur game fps gets locked to ur record fps (30fps in this case) which is not good to play with :P
      - Force lossless RGB capture OFF - this setting is nice to turn on if image quality is paramount to u. Movies taken with this setting on take up vastly more space!

2. VirtualDub
    1. Open Virtual and go to Options -> Preferences...
      If you have a multi-core/multi-threaded CPU (like a dual core or quad core) then you will want to turn on VirtualDub's multi-threaded option to 1 (activated) because it drastically improves encode times! If u dont have a multi-core CPU then don't worry about this option and leave it at 0

3. Codecs (Xvid)
    You can either use the Xvid or DivX codec so if you are not using XviD, skip this section.
    Detailed explaination of every option available in XviD: http://www.gromkov.com/faq/conversion/xvid_options.html
    1. To configure the codec (i'm going to use Xvid) then you'll need to be in VirtualDub...
    2. Go to Video -> Compression (ctrl+P) and select the codec you want. In this example, i'll be using XviD so click on that on the left and then click the Configure button

3. In the next screen that comes up, change Profile @ Level: to MPEG4 ASP @L5 option
      Click the more... button to the right of the profile u just set.

4. In the next config window that pops up...
      In here, set:
      - Quantization type: to either H.263 or MPEG. Here you have a choice... H263 softens the image and MPEG sharpens it - to quote the guide i read about the difference, "For high bitrates, you will find that MPEG quantization preserves more detail - for low bitrates, the smoothing of H.263 will give you less block noise". I've gotten in to the habit of using MPEG since i prefer the sharpness it gives to my UI especially when there's no movement. You'll have to try both to see which u like better on your encodes.
      - Adaptive Quantization to Luminance-Masking
      - Global Motion Compensation on
      - packed bitstream off (untick)
      Click OK to save and exit that screen.

5. So now you are back to the original Xvid Configuration screen again...
      Set Encoding type: to be Twopass - 2nd pass

6. In the Quality preset drop down box near the bottom of the window, select (User defined) and then click the more... button to the right.
    7. In the next config screen that pops up...
      In here, set:
      - Motion Search precision 6 - Ultra High
      - VHQ mode 4 - Wide Search
      - Everything else should be default as in the pic.
    8. Click the Quantization tab at the top and make sure Trellis Quantization is ticked.
    9. Click OK to exit this screen and then click OK on the remaining boxes to close all the codec config completely.

4. Codecs (DivX)
    You can either use the Xvid or Divx codec so if you are not using Divx, skip this section.
    **NOTE THAT THIS SECTION IS OLD AND COULD WELL BE OUT OF DATE AND INACCURATE!**
    1. To configure the codec then you'll need to be in VirtualDub...
    2. Go to Video -> Compression (ctrl+P) and select the codec you want. In this example, i'll be using Divx so click on that on the left and then click the Configure button
    3. Change the Certification profile to be "Unconstrained".
    4. Untick "Use presets to configure the encoder".
    5. Set the rate control. This option is extremely useful to make "multi-pass" encodes. For every additional pass that is performed, the algorhythm is tweaked to make the final video clearer and more accurate. I'm going to explain how to do a 2 pass encode as that is what i am currently using. Select Multipass, 1st pass.
    6. Next is to set the bitrate -- there is a nifty tool built in to divx here: The Bitrate Calculator. Click the calculator icon to the right of the bitrate text box. In this new screen, in the Duration section, put in the duration of the video (that i told u to write down earlier! If u didn't note it down, exit out the compression menus and go find out then come back here). In the Filesize section, type in the filesize you want the video to be eventually - it defaults to 700MB so make sure u change it, i go for 100MB for short movies or 150MB for long ones. Click Accept and it will calculate the necessary bitrate for you.
    7. Click the Codec tab.
    8. Change the Encoding mode: to be Insane Quality. This means it takes wayyy longer to encode but the quality is always better.
    9. Set Experimental SSE4 full search OFF.
    10. If you have a multithreaded CPU (intel core2duo for example) then tick the Enhanced Multithreading option, otherwise leave it unticked.
    11. Leave everything else default. You may want to tick Quarter-pixel search as this can increase pixel accuracy but increases the encode time.
    12. Click the Video tab
    13. Most of this can be left but change Noise Reduction to be auto-detect and change Quantisation to be H.263 Optimized
    14. Click OK and then click OK again to come right out of the compression screens

Method:-
  1. Go record your footage in the game. Open the game and then press your Video capture hotkey that you set in Fraps at the required moment (start of a boss fight for example). Press it again to stop recording (like at the end of the boss fight). Recording video can have a drastic effect on the power your computer has to render the game so you might see a substantial performance drop unless you have a top of the line PC.
  2. Next is to load the footage in to VirtualDub by opening VirtualDub and then going to File > Open video file. Browse to find the video file that you created with Fraps.
  3. Make any cuts to the footage at this point (using Set selection start and Set selection end ... or home/end keys to mark sections u want to cut) and then select Edit > Delete (or press Del).
    Once you are happy with the footage and are ready to encode, drag the play bar to the very end of the time-line (or press ctrl+right) and make sure you note down how long the movie is in minutes and seconds - it tells you down the bottom of VirtualDub (in the format of hours:minutes:seconds:fractions-of-a-second).
  4. Next is to encode the audio. Go to the Audio menu. Make sure Full processing mode is selected. Go to compression and select mp3. No point in stereo in wow movies imo and going for mono cuts the filesize of the audio in half. Ultimately, it's up to u what level of compression u put on the audio.
    note: You might be wanting to replace the existing audio, or even totally remove it. From the Audio menu, u can select No audio or WAV Audio... (where u can select the file u want to import as audio).
  5. Now to set the encoding of the video. We're gonna do a 2-pass encode. This does mean it takes longer to get a finished video but the quality is a lot finer because of it.
    1. Go to the Video menu. Make sure Full processing mode is selected in here, then click Compression. From here u can select the codec u want - I'm using Xvid at present. Once u have clicked the codec u want, click Configure to the right hand side.
    2. This screen should be familiar from setting the options in your codec earlier...
    3. Encoding type should still be set to Twopass - 2nd pass. If so, click the calc... button.
    4. In this bitrate calculator window, insert the Target size ofthe movie u want to create (in kilobytes, so to create a 100mb video u'd type in something like 100000). I aimed for around 250mb for my vids.
    5. Next thing to alter in this calc is the time the video runs for (which is why u wrote this down in 1 of the earlier steps!).
    6. Last thing is just to make sure the audio options down the bottom match the quality of the compression u used for the audio matches. Click OK once you're complete and it will calculate the max bitrate you can achieve in order to not go over the file size u set.
    7. Now that you are back to the main config screen again, change Encoding type to Twopass - 1st pass and then click OK to everything.
    8. You will be back to the main VirtualDub screen at this point. Click File -> Queue Batch Operation -> Save as AVI.... Select where to save the movie file (and the 1st.pass text file that it uses in the second pass) and call it whatever u want.
    9. Next we go back in to the Video -> Compression... option screen, click the codec, click Configure and change the Encoding Type to Twopass - 2nd pass. Just click OK to come out of all those screens so you are back to the main VirtualDub screen again.
    10. Go to File -> Queue Batch Operation -> Save as AVI... again and save it to the same place as b4 (should have the same name from before as well so just click Save).
    11. Last thing is to go to File -> Job Control (or press F4). You should see your 2 jobs (first pass then second pass consecutively) at which point u can press the Start button and off it'll go. You can queue up many video's to encode using this method and u'll get used to setting the codec to 1st pass -> queue 1st pass encode -> setting codec to 2nd pass -> queue 2nd pass encode then running the jobs to make the finished video.
      How long it takes to encode depends very much upon how fast your CPU is (Intel cpu's are notoriously faster at encoding than AMD cpu's), how many cores the CPU has and how many complicated options u set in the codec config.

Updates
06/10/07 - Corrected a few bits here and there
06/06/09 - Updated some links and re-wrote most sections
12/09/10 - Re-wrote the encoding section and added a vast majority just about everywhere else. Added some pics :D
11/10/11 - Encoding section is awaiting a re-write - especially the xvid bit.
09/10/12 - Re-wrote and restructured most of this post
10/10/12 - Removed colour from text due to issues with different forum skins. Should be readable on everything now.
Last edited by AshTrai on 11 Oct 2012, 14:46, edited 13 times in total.
AshTrai ~ 灰皿 ~ Co-GM & Mage Captain
"It's my duty. My duty as a complete and utter bastard!" - Arnold Rimmer
"My advice overall is to play that you enjoy and not swap constantly based on what some website says." - Ghostcrawler
Tharkun wrote:Where ever there is a thread that needs to be derailed, we will be there.
Where ever there is someone that needs taking down a peg or two, we will be there.
Where ever there is someone in need, we won't be there as we will be somewhere else taking the piss out of filthy lessers.

Soridor
Dragon
Class: Druid

Postby Soridor » 29 Sep 2007, 12:28

thanks alot mate. good guide!

GwarFear
Dragon
Class: Rogue

Postby GwarFear » 05 Oct 2007, 22:47

cool stuff ash
It's nice to be important,
But it's more important to be nice...
Warbirdz
Hern

Tatsumaki
Dragon

Postby Tatsumaki » 18 Dec 2007, 18:09

i rly wanna frap sum shit but cba to read everything u have wrote its too fucking confusing man.

wtf does encoding, codec blah blah shit w/e the fuck u wrote.

i just wanna know how to make it so my fraps dont take up 4728959829598250919023509130950913050193 crocodilebytes when i record something :(

please can somenody explain to a complete brainless twat like me how to do it? without using all these words which for 1; i dont know wtf they mean, and 2 fall sleep while reading it (no offence Ash; u did a goodjob just god didnt create us all with the same brain) :cry:

AshTrai
Co-Guild Master

Postby AshTrai » 18 Dec 2007, 21:45

lol tatsu.

There is no way to really change the amount of disk space fraps takes up when it's recording footage. The only setting that would effect the size of the outcome is the fps (frames per second) and tbh, u dont want to go below 30 cos it starts looking jerky imo.

Encoding means compressing the movie so it's filesize is smaller, but keeping image quality good. It's the codecs that u choose which allow u to compress a movies size down but still allow it to play (divx is the most widely used one... but i like xvid :))
"My advice overall is to play that you enjoy and not swap constantly based on what some website says." - Ghostcrawler
Tharkun wrote:Where ever there is a thread that needs to be derailed, we will be there.
Where ever there is someone that needs taking down a peg or two, we will be there.
Where ever there is someone in need, we won't be there as we will be somewhere else taking the piss out of filthy lessers.

Tatsumaki
Dragon

Postby Tatsumaki » 19 Dec 2007, 01:30

so i have a clip from WoW ive recorded yeh, and i need to 'encode' it to make it smaller right?

do you mind if i ask how u encode it? :D i can right click compress to zip folder? is that it? XD HELP MEEEEE :lol:

Dahusa
Dragon
Class: Yes

Postby Dahusa » 19 Dec 2007, 02:20

Load the movie in to VirtualDub, then go to the video menu (make sure Full proccessing mode is selected). And then go to compression, where you can choose the codec you want. When you have choosed the codec you want click configure to the right hand side. From there you can select loads of options which alter the quality and size of the movie. Go for 1000 bitrate for long fights and 1500 for short fights. (Bigger bitrate improves quality)

Changed ashtrais text so you could understand it tatsu :)
"When our members see the 'Dahusa' byline, they know they'll be reading something that's quality."

(Dahusa is usually drunk. Do not hold it against him, he is a functioning member of society.)

AshTrai
Co-Guild Master

Postby AshTrai » 06 Jun 2009, 08:20

Gave this a huge update. Still a bit wrong but i need to leave. Will edit this tonight.

Goes in to a bit more detail about the compression methods. Maybe we can get some more people making Fifth Sin WoW movies :)

Jaywan
Dragon
Class:

Postby Jaywan » 06 Jun 2009, 10:09

i just use fraps and windows movie maker xD
Did anyone say moo?

Makenshin
Dragon
Class:

Postby Makenshin » 06 Jun 2009, 18:28

ditto
Retired END OF DAYZ Shaman [EU Server: Outland]
Current WoW Server: [Americas Server: Gundrak]

Hypervenøm
Class:

Postby Hypervenøm » 05 Mar 2012, 00:23

This has remided me, I need to dl fraps again! :O

AshTrai
Co-Guild Master

Postby AshTrai » 05 Mar 2012, 01:00

haha this thread is so out of date :P
I probably should update it :P

Tharkun
Head of Melee / ArchBattlesteed

Postby Tharkun » 05 Mar 2012, 01:31

Hypervenøm wrote:This has remided me, I need to dl fraps again! :O

Who the fuck let you on here?!

PS. This is Great's actual brother! Let the trolling begin ;)
Thaculrai
Officer and Dark Lord of Fifth Sin
Former Druid Class Master
Alyssia wrote:
Hightous wrote:Nice app! SWEDEN! He missed the "What are you good at" question tho but other than that he seams like a good player.

That question automatically blanks out when it detects swedes, as it knows anything written there would be a lie :P

Taurushon 06/02/2017 - "I wouldn't call it racist, just white supremacy"

Devoured
Dragon
Class:

Postby Devoured » 05 Mar 2012, 01:39

Tha Koon wrote:
Hypervenøm wrote:PS. This is Great's actual brother! Let the trolling begin ;)

Not sure if srs??

If so, it does explain why he's shit in BG ;)

Tharkun

Postby Tharkun » 05 Mar 2012, 03:21

Are you saying Great is good?
Thaculrai
Officer and Dark Lord of Fifth Sin
Former Druid Class Master
Alyssia wrote:
Hightous wrote:Nice app! SWEDEN! He missed the "What are you good at" question tho but other than that he seams like a good player.

That question automatically blanks out when it detects swedes, as it knows anything written there would be a lie :P

Taurushon 06/02/2017 - "I wouldn't call it racist, just white supremacy"

Hypervenøm
Class:

Postby Hypervenøm » 05 Mar 2012, 04:46

Tha Koon wrote:

He is my brother, I do not like to tell people this though, he does not like Kulana! :P

Hypervenøm
Class:

Postby Hypervenøm » 05 Mar 2012, 09:19

Hypervenøm wrote:
Tha Koon wrote:

He is my brother, I do not like to tell people this though, he does not like Kulana! :P

Don't DIS the Kulana!

Drewljin
Grunt
Class:

Drewljin

Postby Drewljin » 05 May 2012, 18:09

If any1 needs footage, i have a paid Fraps account i can give you healing POV.

Just tell me ingame preraid and ill make sure to get some footage
End discrimination. Hate everybody.

AshTrai
Co-Guild Master

Postby AshTrai » 09 Oct 2012, 15:23

Basically re-wrote the entire guide.

Jaywan
Dragon
Class:

Re: Making WoW Movies [Updated 09/10/12]

Postby Jaywan » 01 Nov 2013, 18:20

If you got a GTX600 series or above, you can use Shadowplay, and record your stuff without additional programs :)
Did anyone say moo?

AshTrai
Co-Guild Master

Postby AshTrai » 01 Nov 2013, 18:25

when they release the software to do it...

Jaywan
Dragon
Class:

Postby Jaywan » 01 Nov 2013, 19:06

Beta Release 28th of October, so it should be on Geforce Experience's new drivers. i got 500 series, so i aint got that onboard chip on mine to test it :)
Did anyone say moo?

eviltouch
Dragon
Class: Priest

Postby eviltouch » 02 Nov 2013, 00:03

It is in Ge force experience,i tested it earlier.

Return to “Public General”